Tuesday 30 August 2011

Daniel Cormier says it’s not his problem if his opponents can’t defend takedowns

Strikeforce heavyweight grand-prix semi-finalist, Daniel Cormier has been giving his thoughts on the effect of wrestlers on the sport of mixed martial arts, explaining it’s not their fault that others can’t defend a takedown and unfair of fans to expect them not to use their biggest weapon in their arsenal.
Speaking on Tuesday’s conference call to MMABay.co.uk, Cormier said:

“It’s not my job, it’s not Jon Fitch’s job, it’s not Josh Barnett’s job to actually teach someone takedown defense. It’s their job to learn takedown defense. If they can’t defend the takedown, then they deserve to lay on their back for 15 minutes.”
“I think it’s always good to put on exciting fights. I like to fight. This is my job. If that means I have to stand with him and fight, then I have to fight. What if I can’t take him down? But at the end of the day, it’s about winning.”
“Why should I or anyone else that knows how to wrestle give up their biggest advantage? If a jiu-jitsu guy can get you down, he’s going to use his jiu-jitsu. If a striker can keep you standing, he’s going to use his standup ability. It’s your job, which MMA is, which fighting is, to learn all areas of the game.”
“Nobody likes to get hit. Wrestlers, kickboxers – nobody likes to get hit. But it doesn’t affect me. I train with the No. 1 heavyweight in the world on a daily basis, so I actually get hit a lot. And not only from Cain, but from King Mo (Lawal) and Mike Kyle and all the guys I train with. I’ve adjusted to it because they beat me up so much.”
 
Cormier heads into this one fresh off an impressive unanimous decision win over Jeff Monson in June, marking himself out as one to watch in the heavyweight division. Will he be able to overcome the size and experience advantage “Big Foot” will carry with him into this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive