Monday 27 June 2011

UFC on Versus 4 – Cheick Kongo: “The good thing was I have a good chin”

UFC heavyweight contender, Cheick Kongo has been giving his thoughts on his impressive come-from-behind win over Pat Barry last night in the main event of the UFC on Versus 4 card in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, explaining it’s a good thing he has a good chin.
Speaking at the post-fight press conference, Kongo said:
“When he hit me, I said, ‘Whoa!’ I knew I had to come back right away, ‘cause I can’t let him be very confident from this position. I didn’t see anything. I couldn’t imagine what’s going on. I just remember saying, ‘Whoa, OK, he dropped me down, so something happened.’ So, I had to come back quickly. I can say it was lucky, but I just worked all the defense I could do for this fight. The good thing was I have a good chin.”
“What gave me the ability to come back was maybe the agility stuff. Maybe I’m able to receive more shots than (other) people, and that’s the difference I have between the others. I feel sorry for Pat. It’s never easy to knock out or hurt people. It’s a fight. It’s a business for me. It’s a sport, and it’s a business. I’m going to keep going with my team the best way that I can, and for me, it’s a good thing. The people are happy, and they enjoyed the fight.”
“The thing is just surviving. This sport is tough – keeping my smile, my teeth, and staying in good shape. We’ll see later, but I have no plans about the rest of the future. The thing is just survive, get more wins, and see if I have the chance to fight again. And that’s good.”
Kongo has certainly done enough with the win to move himself back into the periphery of title contention and perhaps a fight against former interim heavyweight champion, Shane Carwin or top prospect, Matt Mitrione lies ahead in the Frenchman’s future.
By Michael Pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive