Wednesday 29 June 2011

UFC 132 – Matt Wiman happy to keep his feet on the ground ahead of showdown with Dennis Siver

UFC lightweight prospect, Matt Wiman has been giving his thoughts on facing dangerous German striker, Dennis Siver this weekend on the UFC 132 card in Las Vegas, Nevada, explaining it’s great to once again be featured on a main card but he’ll be keeping his feet firmly on the ground.
Speaking via UFC.com, Wiman said:
“I don’t really know or care where beating him puts me. I just want to beat him, and if I just keep being the best fighter that I can be, and keep stepping forward, then I’ve accomplished my goals, and that’s the plan. If I can say that I’m the best fighter that I can possibly be, overcame challenge after challenge, and stepped forward and persevered, then I’m happy. I don’t think I’ve even overlooked an opponent or ever looked forward. At the same time, I try not to overly respect my opponent and build him up into this monster because I need to do my thing, and when I do my thing, it doesn’t matter. I think I’m a better fighter than Siver, and if he fights my best and I fight my best, I’m gonna win.”
“When I look at Siver, I see a guy who came into his own and who is right now the best fighter that he’s ever been. I’m glad about that because I want to fight the best guys and I want to fight them when they’re at their best. There’s no point fighting someone while they’re down and out or up and coming and tough and nobody knows or cares who they are. You want to take that challenge and overcome it. Beating him now is huge. He’s a great fighter and I’m a fan of his. I spoke to him a couple times and he seems like a really nice guy. It’s sad that one of us has to lose, but it’s definitely not gonna be me. It’s not even an option.”
“When I think of me and Siver, I think of co-main event. It’s gonna get nuts. But I guess to the rest of the world, I guess it’s just a regular good fight, and that’s okay, I’ve been in that position before. Me and Sam Stout, we were actually marked as the first fight on the undercard (at UFC 97 in 2009) and it didn’t seem like too many people cared about our fight, and that was Fight of the Night. And they actually moved us and we fought after Chuck Liddell (vs. “Shogun” Rua) and right before Anderson Silva and Thales Leites. But I’m happy to be on the main card and people are gonna see a great fight.”
Wiman, he returns to the octagon after dominating Cole Miller in January. He also holds wins over “Ultimate Fighter” season six winner, Mac Danzig and the once promising Shane Nelson. Stay tuned to MMABay for more build-up to this one as we get it.
By Michael Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive