Thursday 30 June 2011

UFC 132 – Carlos Condit certain he will be taken down but explains it’s whether he stays down that will decide the fight

Former WEC welterweight champion, Carlos Condit has been giving further food for thought on his UFC 132 main card clash with undefeated South Korean, Dong Hyun Kim, explaining it’s not about whether he gets taken down, it’s about what happens from there.
Speaking via Sherdog.com, Condit said:
“Lately, I definitely think that I’ve been fighting tougher guys. Kim came into the UFC without a huge name, so they gave him fights to build himself up; whereas I had already made a name for myself, so right out the gate, I was fighting top-notch opponents.”
“It is a tough matchup for me, but I love a challenge. I think that I have the tools to come out on top. We have some great wrestlers in here [at Jackson’s]. We have some guys that have some really good throws and we have guys with great jiu-jitsu and ground games. I definitely think we’ll be prepared.
“I’m sure I’m bound to be taken down in this fight. The question is can he dictate the fight with his takedowns? Am I gonna be able to get back up and implement my game, [or] be able to attack off my back, which is something that I have in my arsenal?”
Asked what a win would do for his career, Condit says:
“I think it puts me in a good position to either get a title shot or a fight for [the right to be considered the] No. 1 contender.”
Condit is coming off a very impressive first round knockout win over former title contender, Dan Hardy, as well as a last gasp win over Canadian prospect, Rory MacDonald on hostile territory. Stay tuned to MMABay for more build-up to this one as we get it.
By Michael Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive