Wednesday 29 June 2011

Jorge Masvidal feels he matches up well with any lightweight in the world right now… especially Gilbert Melendez

Strikeforce lightweight contender, Jorge Masvidal has been giving further food for thought on a potential fight against current champion at 155 pounds, Gilbert Melendez, explaining it’s not just “El Nino” he feels he matches up well with… it’s anyone in the division.
Speaking via Sherdog.com, Masvidal said:
“I think I match up well with any lightweight walking the earth. With Gil, I think I match up good. I don’t have a problem with wrestlers. I’m just going to go in and pick him apart. Do my fight. He can do his thing and I’m going to do my thing, and I’m going to come out on top.”
“That’s a big step up. With the title comes more money, comes more everything. I’m excited about that. Gil’s a top-three lightweight in the world. They’ve got him as high as number one in some rankings. He’s no lower than number three. It’s definitely going to be a big thing to get in there with Gil and kick his butt.”
“Since the first time I had a fight, I loved this and I liked this and [I thought I was] going to be doing this for a long, long time. For me it wasn’t like a fluke where I was going to get discouraged if I lost. … I knew with the right time, the right amount of work, I’d be able to push myself and go places. That’s one thing, especially at lightweight: I’m willing to push more than any of these guys.”
“I want to beat up everybody in Strikeforce. I want to get the belt. I want to defend that belt, and then when I’ve cleaned out the division, I’m sure they’re going to bring me over.”
Masvidal has now put together back-to-back wins inside the Strikeforce cage, defeating Billy Evangelista and K.J. Noons putting him in line for a crack at the lightweight title next time up. Will the California based promotion agree with this assessment and give him the biggest opportunity of his career to date? Tell us what you think…
By Michael Pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive