Saturday 28 May 2011

UFC 130 – Frank Mir feels he’ll be the number one contender if he defeats Roy Nelson tonight in Las Vegas

Former UFC heavyweight champion, Frank Mir has been giving his thoughts on his standing in the division if he comes out with his hand raised following his fight later on tonight with Roy Nelson in Las Vegas, Nevada, saying as far as he’s concerned he’ll be next in line for a shot at the title.
Speaking via Heavy.com Mir said:
“What happened with the main event a couple weeks ago catapulted Roy and I (to a place where we) are much more highlighted in this event now. With what has happened with (Brock) Lesnar, it’s very unfortunate, but it also raises the question of how long he’ll be out, and in my opinion, we are getting a true read on who the #1 contender is from the winner of the fight on June 11 between Shane Carwinand Junior dos Santos.”
“I figure the winner of that match is very deserving; I don’t think that anyone can argue that they’re not very deserving. And I think this match on Saturday between Roy and myself now puts us in the #2 spot. I might have to fight one more time after Saturday to take up time because obviously they’re going to have to set up a fight with Cain and the winner of that fight, but I feel that right now, that puts us right there steamrolling into it.”
Mir then turned his attention to the job at hand, a UFC 130 clash with his friend and former training partner in Las Vegas, Nevada.
“If my wife were to get in the ring with me, I would try to knock her out and choke her unconscious, no problem. I would flip the switch. That’s what takes it to where we’re up here, Roy and I are friends before the fight. I like the guy a lot. We’ll be friends after the fight as well.
“But during that fight, it doesn’t matter that we liked each other beforehand; trust me, Roy’s going to try to knock my head off, I’m going to try to knock his head off, and if I can catch him in a choke, I want him to go to sleep. I guarantee you that he’d like to take my arm and put it on his mantle. I’ve never tapped in a submission competition and I’ve never tapped in the UFC. I’m pretty sure he’d be the first to try to make that happen.”
“I don’t need to fake it and build up that I dislike you, and maybe that’s what people are having a hard time understanding. I don’t have to dislike you to want to punch you. If it’s my job or you’re there on that given day; it’s the same thing as a football game. I watched John Lynch knock out his brother-in-law in a football game. That’s just the way it is; it’s a sport.”
Mir could put himself back in title contention with a win over Roy Nelson later this month at UFC 130 in Las Vegas, Nevada. He was last in action back in September when he knocked out former PRIDE champion, Mirko Cro Cop in the third and final round. Stay tuned to MMABay for more on this as we get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive