Friday 13 May 2011

Shane Carwin talks about replacing Brock Lesnar at UFC 131, feels 'this is where he belongs'

Boy what a roller coast ride it's been for Shane Carwin.
The former UFC number one heavyweight title challenger has gone from having to pull out of a New Year's bout with Roy Nelson to welcoming Jon Olav Einemo to the UFC in his return bout to stepping in for the sick Brock Lesnar against Junior dos Santos at UFC 131.
All in a matter of a few months.
Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports confirmed that the bout with Dos Santos will be a UFC heavyweight number one contender match with the winner facing champion Cain Velasquez later this year.
Not bad for sitting on the sidelines for nearly a year.
Carwin was very quick to react and posted a new blog on his website that details the process of stepping into the main event and how he feels about taking the fight with dos Santos.
Here is what he had to say:
"I was training and my phone was blowing up so I looked over and saw some missed calls from Dana and Joe Silva. I reached out to my manager to see what was going on and he informed me that we are taking Lesnar's spot for 131. Junior is a serious fight and not the type of fight that you would normally take on a 30 day notice but I have a dream to chase and I do not have a lot of time to chase it. This is an opportunity to put myself in contention for the title. I know my Coaches will have me ready so I have everything to gain. My manager said 'This is where you belong' and I am going to make sure I do everything I can to prove him right.... I hope Brock is able to recover. I look forward to facing him again one day.
Whether or not Carwin can return to top form after such a long layoff, and do it against a savage like dos Santos, is going to be quite a tall order.
But "The Engineer" likely made sure that all his i's were dotted and his t's were crossed.
Otherwise, he's in for a rude awakening early nap in Vancouver on June 11, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive