Thursday 5 May 2011

Dan Henderson talks about the possibility of facing Fedor Emelianenko and Jon Jones down the line

Strikeforce light heavyweight champion, Dan Henderson has been giving his thoughts on a potential July showdown with Fedor Emelianenko, as well as why he’d like to go head-to-head with Jon Jones and how he’d deal with the youngster.
Speaking via ProMMANow.com, Henderson said:
“He’s not going to make 205-pounds but he’s not the biggest heavyweight out there so I have no problems fighting him at what he’s at. It won’t be at a catch weight, I’ve never believed in those. If you’re going to fight somebody just fight them at their weight, don’t make them come halfway down. There’s no reason for me to make him cut 15 pounds as he’s going to weigh that much come fight night anyway.”
“I love these challenges and he’s going to be a great challenge. He’s very dangerous on both the feet and the ground.”
On the recent takeover of Strikeforce by Zuffa LLC. and who he’d like to challenge down the line, “Hendo” said:
“There’s a little bit more infrastructure and a lot more organization. Things are being organized into the same system as the UFC uses and that’s a positive change. I also think the marketing is going to be a lot better.”
“With anyone who’s got a different style it’s interesting to see how you match up against them,” he explained. “Jon Jones fits into that scenario. He’s very awkward and throws a lot of different stuff. You’ve got to wonder how well I’d do against him or how well he’d do against me”.
“The biggest thing is controlling the space. I wouldn’t stand half way across the ring where I couldn’t hit him but he could hit me!”
Henderson looks likely to take on the challenge of Fedor Emelianenko at the end of July in Chicago, Illinois before defending his light heavyweight title over the winter months. Will a move to the UFC be on the cards after that and a possible super fight with Jon Jones?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive