Thursday 17 October 2013

Marquardt: Still time to do God's will in the UFC

Marquardt sat down with UFC.com's Tom Gerbasi, and discussed his new outlook on life.

“All those negative thoughts and questioning thoughts are going to creep in,” said Marquardt. “For me, it was a situation where I definitely shouldn’t have taken that fight on short notice, but that’s not why I lost. The reason I lost was I feel like God wanted to show me, ‘hey I’ve given you everything you have, and you’re not gonna do this on your own.’”

“I’ve tried to live my life in a way that God wanted me to, but over the years I grew away from God in my heart. I was still doing the same things, always trying to put my family first and still going to church and praying, but in my heart, my career started to grow as a false idol. I was always trying to gain that accomplishment of the title, and that started to become more important than God. I wish that realization would have come sooner, but I still have time to do God’s work in this sport, and it’s obviously still one of my goals to be the champion, and I definitely think it’s a very good possibility that that will happen.”

“I’m so strong and fast right now, and obviously the more experience you have the better you get technically, and as a fighter in the training room, I know how good I am, and I know that I can beat and should beat anyone in the world if you match us up on paper as far as skills, athletic ability, and experience,” he said. “But then I can lose to somebody who on paper I shouldn’t lose to, and then I lose two in a row like that, and to me, that’s just God saying ‘you can try as hard as you want, but if your heart’s not in the right spot, I’m not gonna let you have that.’"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive