Tuesday 12 July 2011

Melvin Guillard Challenges Joe Lauzon, Lauzon Accepts

Photo
In his post-fight interview after knocking out Shane Roller at UFC 132, lightweight Melvin Guillard asked the UFC to let him fight on the UFC 136 card in Houston on October 8th. Melvin was a guest on MMAWeekly Radio, and respectfully challenged a particular lightweight to fight him. Joe Lauzon:
"I don’t want to try to throw a name out there, but I was thinking maybe I could ask them to fight Joe Lauzon," Guillard said. "Right now technically nobody else is available, he already fought and walked away with a submission of the night victory, he didn’t take any damage in his last fight so maybe he’ll want to take the fight."
Lauzon was a guest on another edition of their radio show, and made it clear that he'll fight anyone, including Guillard:
"Melvin’s saying he wants to fight me. Last week, I think Charles Oliveira’s saying he wants to fight me. I’ll fight whoever the UFC wants. If the UFC wants me to fight Melvin, then let’s do it. If the UFC wants me to fight Charles Oliveira, then let’s do it," Lauzon said.
"I’m not too picky. I’ve never told the UFC ‘no I don’t want to fight.’ If they want me to fight someone, then I’ll do it."
October 8th is just under three months away, so Lauzon sees no problem with the timing of the proposed fight either:
"I think with a proper training camp, things like that, I can game plan and be ready for anyone," Lauzon said. "Whoever the UFC wants, I’m down. If they want Melvin, then let’s do it."
Lauzon is just 2-2 in his last four fights so I'm not sure if a win over him would get Guillard any closer to a title shot, but it's a big opportunity for Lauzon. Either way, it would be a very exciting edition to UFC 136 if it did indeed take place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive