Saturday 25 June 2011

Ring Girl Round-Up Special: Ashley Salazar

This edition of Ring Girls Round-Up is truly special.

LowKick.com Community, please meet the former Strikeforce Ring Girl and future Playboy Miss Social - Ashley Salazar.
Now, how do I start my introduction? Ashley Salazar's resume is bigger than Travis Fulton's fight record on Wikipedia!

Obviously, Ashley Salazar is a full-time model. Before winning the Knock Out Ring Girl contest for Strikeforce: Feijao vs. Henderson, Ashley served six years in the Air Force as mammographer. She also has an amateur Mixed Martial Arts record of 1-1, with her last fight taking place in August of 2010. Aaaannd... Ashley is also a mother.

Today, Ashley's number one goal is to win Playboy's Miss Social contest, which will reach its final stage on June 27th. LowKick.com community members, staff, and even the janitor of our offices will all help Ashley to win by submitting votes via the following link: http://apps.facebook.com/playboymisssocial/media/11376. We'll be releasing additional post to support Ashley in her quest for glory during the finals! (Again, it's June 27th)
We had a rare opportunity to have an interview with Ashley Salazar, asking her all sorts of ridiculous questions. The result is without a doubt one of the most entertaining interviews we ever made.

Please make sure youo follow Ashley Salazar on Twitter @ashleycmsalazar, and "Like" her Facebook Fan Page.

But before we get to it, here's the Tale of the Tape:

Name: Ashley Salazar
Age: 26
Height: 5' 7"
Weight: 120 lbs
Cup: DD
Favorite Fighter: Alistair Overeem
You’re currently on a huge campaign for Playboy’s Miss Social. What’s PlayBoy Miss Social, and why it’s so important to you to win this contest?
Playboys Miss Social is the girl from next door's dreams competition. For any small town girl who doesn't have the big time Hollywood connections it's a chance for you to shine in a big way in the world of Playboy. Thousands of girls submit daily to Playboy but many still don't know about the Miss Social contest and that's because it's only in its 5th cycle.  It's a non-nude modeling contest which Playboy run's through a facebook plugin platform application. Your facebook friends can vote for free through the application and they can buy votes. Generally the contest runs for 30 days and has a semi final round and a finalist round. In the end the girl with the most overall votes from the finals round wins.

The prize is an all expenses paid trip to have a Playmate test shoot in California, the title of Playboy's Miss Social for your month and for many of the previous winners has opened up many doors for other opportunities within Playboy. Since the contest is based on social networking just by participating in it you as a model help build your own brand significantly because Playboy interacts with the girls who are contestants and reaches out to their personal facebook fan pages
or profiles.

Back in December of 2010 I competed in the facebook non-nude modeling contest in which I placed 4th in the finals and was selected to represent the Miss Social contest at the February Playboy Superbowl Party in Dallas. During the contest itself I made some great friends with other finalist contestants, Ashley Alexis, Britney Ireland, Cassandra Marie, and Mary Carver.



When I was in Dallas Cassandra and I met up and we did a photoshoot/interview together. I March I unveiled her as the cover model for my website www.missoohlalaa.com and we are so proud to say that she will be featured in the next US issue of Fighters Only Magazine as their "Babe" of the month. I also supported Ashley when she ran for the title of February's Miss Social and we are keeping our fingers crossed for her Playmate test shoots results!

For me I choose to compete again in June because watching my friends dreams come true helped give me more confidence that I could win this and represent my city if these girls could do it from their own small towns. I'm a mom and for me it’s harder to get into Playboy, their standards are very high to what is what the "perfect" woman's body looks like. I hate that society makes models who are mothers feel like we’re not beautiful women because we may have a few slight
imperfections.

I am competing not only for myself but also for all the sexy moms out their that bring life into this world.  So far in the June contest of the current cycle I was the 4th girl to become a finalist. On June 27th starting at 2 pm PST to 2 pm on June 28th PST the finals will go down. I can't stress enough from watching the previous completions and competing how important every vote is to determining the winner. Please vote for me, this is one of my dreams :)



Obviously you’re a very experienced model. What’s the weirdest photoshoot you ever done in your life?

Well its not well known secret or anything about my nude modeling experiences. Nude modeling is actually my preferred type, I don't really know why I guess it's just when I'm most comfortable. Anyway one time I had a client who hired me to shoot in a swamp/pond. Let me just say that one of my childhood fears has to deal with a swamp/large lakes and things getting tangled or touching my feet in dark waters where I can't see. I'm kind of a tom boy or farm girl ( I lived on a farm for a few years) and don't mind getting dirty or full of mud but the water really was scary for me. Weird bugs crawling on me and I could feel things below my feet that were squishy. In end the end it was interesting, the pictures were very pretty but all I wanted to do was take a shower. I think it lessened my fear a bit but not sure if I'm going to be shooting in any ponds again sometime soon.

Except of being a model, you’re also an amateur MMA fighter. What’s in your opinion the best thing about MMA, and who are your favorite fighters?

The culture of MMA is the best part hands down. Yes MMA has a culture and people better start realizing that, this sport is growing faster globally now I think then it has in the past ten years. With ground breaking social platforms like facebook and twitter more people are becoming fans now everyday. This is creating and connecting fighters individuals stories of why they fight in a way never done before. It’s interesting to watch the older traditions of martial arts being merged into a modern day creation that affects the lives of so many. MMA teaches discipline, strength, forward thinking and to believe in one's self. It inspires people of all ages and you can see if when you attend any MMA event.

Back when I was in my first year of learning about MMA here in St. Louis, I was hired once to cover photography of Strikeforce event. That was the night I saw Alistair Overeem fight in person against Brett Rodgers. What can I say? I've been a fan ever since. I'm looking forward to his next upcoming match against Big foot Silva. It's hard though because I met Silva back in February when I was a ring girl for Strikeforce and he's a really great guy.  The Reem is my hero though so my prediction is a submission in the 2nd round.



Would you fight Cyborg Santos?

I'd love to roll with Cyborg and would consider it an honor. Tell me where and when and I'm there. Meeting her would be pretty amazing along with the other leading ladies of MMA like Gina Carano, Miesha Tate, Marloes Coenen and Roxanne Modafferi  I'm not a pro yet but I would fight any of them for the experience. Frank Shamrock and I did a demonstration together at the Strikeforce booth during the Arnold Festival and I learned a lot from him then.

My goal as a fighter is just to keep on fighting for as long as I feel that flame for it in my heart. I can't say that one day I will go pro, if its meant to happen then it will but I'm not going to rush without learning the art and experimenting until I find my own signature style.  I'm very grateful to anyone who helps me learn the art, all the sparring partners I have and to my gym. I had to take a  break from my training for school because I was going full time  but I'm out of school now for the summer and  looking forward to get some more time back in the gym to continue my next goal which is to fight in Tuff Nuff.


You also were a Ring Girl for Strikeforce’s Feijao-Henderson card. How different it was from being a fighter to become a Ring Girl? Who’s in your opinion the sexiest ring girl out there?

Well I've worked with several local and Midwest MMA promotional leagues in my career. It's actually how I started fighting, I was a ring girl at first then I started fighting. I'm the girl who had the balls to step it up and enter into the cage myself. I have a huge amount of respect for every other fighter out there that does the same.  My first trainer Steve Berger of Berger MMA always used to tell me that I reminded him of Gina Carano. He would leave me messages
calling me the next upcoming Strikeforce superstar. For me to be a ring girl for Strikeforce was a dream come true, hopefully one day in the future I will come back again either as a Ring Girl or
Professional female fighter.

The sexiest ring girl out there?  Me, lol! Hey a girl's always got to have confidence in herself :) Besides me, definitely my girl Brianna Berens ( Editor’s note: next week on Ring Girls Round-Up!)



I understand Wade and Karyn of MMA HEAT helped you in winning the contest, what can you say about their work? And what’s your opinion on the motorboating thing?

Kayrn and Wade have been wonderful promotional partners and I have enjoyed watching their show M.M.A. Heat. During the Strikeforce contest they really help support me along with Fighters Only Magazine, Babes of MMA and MMA Candy by blogging about me and with rallying votes online.  There show is great to watch because Kayrn's sharp interview skills and personality is at the top of the game, match that with their action packed content and you have the fixings for a very successful show. What's wrong a little motorboating every now and
then? It's keeps people talking doesn't it?


You’re just 26 years old and you already achieved so much in your life. One of those things is serving six years in the Air Force. What can you tell about this army experience, and what kind of influence it had on your future life?

I loved every one of my six years I served in the Air Force, was very successful at my promotions and earned many awards during my service. When I was in I had two major jobs Radiology and Mammography which I am registered in both. Some of the additional jobs/duties I also performed were Base Honor Guard, Security Forces Augmentee and Base CPR Instructor. Towards the end of my career I started to run into a lot of political situations where glamour modeling & the military wasn't mixing well and decided to get out.  I'm very patriotic , I love my country, and I pray for the troops still deployed. The military changed my life forever, it was something "great" that I was a part of and it brought out some of the best in me.

Any message to your fans, and everyone voting for you on Playboy Miss Social?

I just want to say thank you for each and every vote. I've been campaigning for 6 months now and I've met some great new people. Thank you to every radio show/blogger who has put me on to help my message be heard and for all the donations from my sponsors. Thanks for
believing in me and for all the support!




Five Quick Questions:

-          Who would you like to put in a rear naked choke


Dana White and tell him to allow women into UFC. :)


-          What’s the most important thing you’re looking for in a guy


A good heart. One that isn't cruel and cold.


-          Your favorite movie


Twister. I've been obsessed with tornado's ever since I was a little girl.


-          Your favorite drink


If it's alcohol... Sauvignon Blanc.


-          Your opinion on a guy who wants to go 50/50 on the first date


Call me old fashioned but I like being wine'n'dined.







Posted By Anton Gurevich

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive