Tuesday 24 May 2011

UFC 130 – Stefan Struve targets the title in six or seven years time, for now he’s just enjoying exciting fights

UFC heavyweight monster, Stefan Struve has revealed that his long-term plan of the next six or seven years is to capture the title but for now he’s just having fun competing in exciting fights and showing what he can do to his ever growing fan base.
Speaking via Heavy.com Struve said:

“I’m only 23, and I train my ass off. Of course you want to win, and there is a little pressure because you don’t want to lose, but that’s why people love my fights. I think they’re always exciting because I fight without pressure right now. I just want to give exciting fights, show what I can do. If I get my title shot in a couple years, that’s going to be great, but we set a goal, and if we keep going like this, we’re going to get to that goal in six or seven years.
“Maybe there were a couple fights where I should have fought a little smarter. With the Morecraft fight, I got sick in the locker room an hour before the fight. I think it was more because of nerves, but I threw up and I got dizzy. After two minutes in the first round, all my energy was gone.
“I just needed to survive (the first round), and then second round, the only thought I had was to go out there and throw everything you’ve got and see where the fight ends. Maybe I need to be a little more patient sometimes, when keeping someone at distance, but I just like to be in a war, in a real fight, and if I look back at my fight, I want to be proud of that performance, you know. I don’t want to think that I could have done better or it could have been a more exciting fight for the fans.
“We’ve been working a lot on using my reach, but the most important thing to me is that I don’t want to be in a boring fight; I don’t want to hear the crowd boo in my fight. If that happens, I think I need to rethink what I’m doing. I always want to give exciting fights.”
On his fight this weekend with Travis Browne on the UFC 130 card in Las Vegas, Nevada, Struve said:
“He’s 6’7″ but my last two opponents were 6’7″ too and you saw what happened to them. I think he’s a lot better on the feet; he’s got more of a kickboxing style. He’s got bigger power in his fists, big power in his kicks. You don’t need to get hit by him, because if you get hit by him, it’s lights out. Although, I got a good chin.
“We both like to throw heavy, we’re not afraid to exchange. It’s going to be awesome. I always come to finish my fight, so my prediction will be that I will finish the fight and it’s going to be one hell of a fight.”
Struve was last seen inside the octagon at UFC 124 in December, defeating trash talking heavy hitter, Sean McCorkle in the very first round via TKO. He was linked with a fight against Brendan Schaub at UFC 128 but that was quickly scrapped. Stay tuned to MMABay for more build-up to this one as we get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive