Sunday 22 May 2011

UFC 130 – Cole Escovedo insists he won’t be a UFC fighter until he gets his hand raised inside the octagon

UFC newcomer, Cole Escovedo has been speaking about his late call-up to this weekends UFC 130 card in Las Vegas, Nevada where he’ll face dangerous Brazilian, Renan Barao on the preliminary card of the evening, as well as his response to people who stop and ask him what it’s like to be a UFC fighter.
Speaking via MMAFighting.com, Escovedo said:
“I get all these people saying, ‘Oh, what it’s like to be a UFC fighter?’ and I just tell ‘em, ‘I’m not a UFC fighter yet.’ Until I actually step into that cage and finish that fight – then I can call myself a UFC fighter. Until then, I’m just another fighter making a debut somewhere.”
“I figured I would just have to hound everybody and make it so that they were so sick of hearing my name everyday that they would have to bring me in to pretty much just to get beat up, so… I figured that was going to be my best route, but it worked out and I stood out in their minds and when it came time to bring up a name for a fight, they remembered my name anyway.”
“When they call you personally, man. That’s a whole different story. It was probably one of the best phone calls I ever got. [Shelby] didn’t sugarcoat anything. [Shelby said:] ‘He’s a tough kid, I’m not going to lie to you. It’s a really, really tough opponent for you to be taking for you debut, but I wanted to give you the opportunity to make a decision and I’m like, ‘Yeah, I understand.’ The only thing is the reality I know that the phone call won’t come for awhile if I don’t take it.”
Escovedo has been on somewhat of an up-and-down rollercoaster of late, winning five fight straight before dropping fights to Michael McDonald and Michihiro Omigawa. He was last seen in January submitting Steven Siler via triangle choke. Stay tuned to MMABay in the coming days for more build-up to this one as we get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive