Tuesday 10 May 2011

Bellator Signs Top Welterweight Free Agent Douglas 'The Phenom' Lima

Photo_01_-_douglas_lima_with_belt1_medium
CHICAGO, Ill. (May 9, 2011) - The list of top signings at Bellator continues to grow, this time adding top unsigned welterweight and former MFC Champion Douglas "The Phenom" Lima to its roster. Joining Bellator on an impressive win streak that includes a series of highlight reel finishes, Lima is ready to show fans what the buzz is all about.
"In every promotion I've fought in, I've always wanted to be the best welterweight in the division - but with Bellator, this is it," said Lima. "This is a big organization and I'm going to be fighting on national television on MTV2. This is it for me, finally."
Currently residing in Atlanta, the fast-rising 23-year-old enters Bellator riding a six-fight win streak and a battle-proven record of 18-4. "The Phenom" is currently all set to enter the promotion's upcoming welterweight tournament. A true finisher, 16 of Lima's 18 wins have come by submission or knockout.
"I just really want to finish all of my fights," Lima said. "Every time I fight, I'm always looking for some way to finish. I don't like leaving my fate in the hands of the judges. If we stand up I'm going to try to knock my opponent's head off, and if we go to the ground, I'm good there too."

While Lima tries not to focus on his losses, he can't help but be reminded of his 2008 submission defeat at the hands of Bellator veteran and Season 4 Welterweight Tournament Semifinalist Brent Weedman.
"I definitely want to get that loss back from Brent Weedman," said Lima. "I was very young when I fought him. He's a cool guy, but I wouldn't mind getting back inside the cage with him to get that one back."
Now a member of Bellator Fighting Championships, the hard-hitting Brazilian just may get his chance. Either way, Lima is eager to take center stage LIVE on MTV2.
"I always want to win, but sometimes it's almost more important for me to put on an exciting fight," Lima said. "I want to be in a fight where I can go home and watch in the next day and be like, 'Wow! That was awesome'. I want to put on the kind of performance that makes the people like me. I'm not going to go in there and just lay on a guy or run around the cage. When I step inside the cage, I'm ready to go to war. I'm not in there to play around."
"Over the last two years, Douglas has taken his game to an entirely different level. Many considered him one of the top unsigned welterweights in MMA today. I'm very happy to say that he's no longer unsigned and that he will be fighting for Bellator," said Bellator Chairman and CEO Bjorn Rebney. "We continue to develop one of the strongest 170 lbs. divisions in the sport, and Douglas will be a fantastic addition to that."
For more information, visit Bellator.com, follow Bellator on Twitter @BellatorMMA or on Facebook at www.facebook.com/Bellator

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive